Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Engage Your Students with Special Needs

As I began researching how to engage your students in your lessons, I also began researching the idea of homework, which overall lead me to how to engage your students with special needs. As a DUAL major this is a topic that has become a huge interest to me and one that I feel is extremely prevalent in our school system today. With the idea of inclusion growing in our classrooms, it is crucial that we teach to every student individually and ensure that we are reaching their needs. As I began researching, I found a large amount of websites and other blogs full of ideas on how to engage your students with special needs in a regular education classroom. This can be especially tricky with science. You want your students to be able to relate the science experiments to real life and what it's importance is. On the helium.com website, it brings up great ideas on how to teach to every one of your students, especially your students with special needs. It brings up the importance of relating the information to real life again and to take advantage of using multi-media to assist with teaching science. This could be a great way to give students with disabilities an opportunity to be independent and creative in science!

6 comments:

  1. Desiree-

    I think the topic you are researching is very interesting as well. It is very important that all students are engaged in your teaching, but more importantly that they are making the connections they are supposed to be making throughout the lesson. This is typically more difficult to accomplish with students with disabilities. Therefore, it is great that you found a useful website to help you engage all students no matter their ability level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an important topic to consider because of the new push for inclusion in all elementary classrooms. I am not a dual major, only pK-6, so it is important for me to find out any information I can that will help me teach all of the students in my classroom, including those with special needs. I am happy that there are so many websites out there that address specific subjects as well as how to adapt to all students. Would it be possible for you to post some of the links to these sites for me to use as a resource?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree,
    I really enjoy this topic for a few reasons. Many classes are integrated and finding ways to reach all students is very important. Just because a student has an IEP doesn't mean they need to know the content any less and we can't expect every student to learn in the exact same way we are teaching. Also, this is a great resource because even if your school does not practice inclusion, you will have students of varying abilities in your class. Any way you can help a student learn is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a supporter of full inclusion when it is appropriate for the child and when inclusion doesn't hinder the learning of the other students in the classroom. I've seen the later happen most often when the teacher is not prepared or educated on how to teach effectively to a special education student.

    It is very likely that in my future classrooms I will have children with disabilities. Getting yourself prepared and having tools at your disposal is important so the child's education isn't compromised. Thanks for the website recommendation. It had a lot of information regarding Science education and I loved the current issues of the time section.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy reading your topic, but was wondering if you had some helpful websites to point us in in helping engaged students with special needs. As we all know we will have a classroom with students of all types and learning styles, so your topic is very important.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great topic Des! I didn't even think to research this, but with so much emphasis on inclusion now, it was a great topic to research. I like the website and it's a great resource for the future! This is a topic that I would be interested in doing some more research on! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete