Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Engaging Science Activities for Elementary

In my past blogs I have been talking about the best ways to keep our students engaged in science while they also learn at the same time.  I am now looking for activites we can do in our classroom that are inquiry based.  I am looking for elementary activies most of all becasue I think it can be hard sometimes to do everything we talk about in class in the elementary grades. The questioning part from the teacher can be a diffictult task because you need to word your questions so they are thought-provoking and to do that with elementary students can be hard, becasue they have a limited vocabulary. I am looking for ideas to keep these studetns engaged as well as be highly mentally active when doing these activites. 

One website I thought was great was the NSTA; The National Science Teachers Association website. They give great journal articles about iquiry based science and how we can teach it to all grade levels.  They also give great ideas for activities and lessons for all grade levels.  To get these journals however you need to be a member, but anyone can join and it is free to do so.  Website

Another website that I found was helpful for finding ideas and lessons that fit witht the inquiry based teachign was The Science House.  This website gives great ideas for elementary, middle school, and high school.  The thing I like most about these activities is that they give you sample questions that you can ask your students throughout the lesson, for all grade levels.  These are all lesssons that keep students engaged and fuel curiosity, the questions are all thought provoking also.  The Science House

No comments:

Post a Comment