Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Student Picked Investigations

I’ve touched on this idea in a couple of my blog posts, but like I did for using current events in your science classroom, I feel that it’s so important that it can have its own blog post. Students love when they are given the choice of something… it’s almost like they feel empowered and in charge of their learning when a teacher tells them they can pick six of the eight math problems to do or they can choose their science investigation topic.

Not only does it empower students, but it can lead to some great science inquiry and true science experiments (as long as students know what makes a true experiment and science inquiry). There’s a fine line when a teacher lets students pick their topic and run with it – the teacher needs to make sure that they are following through and reminding students about due dates and requirements rather than just backing away from the students with the idea that they will figure it out on their own. Many students are not used to being in charge of their own learning in this way and will need support from teachers and other students in order to complete the investigation successfully.

Allowing students to pick their own inquiry topics makes the learning environment more fun because students don’t feel stifled or suffocated by the teacher – they can do what they want!

7 comments:

  1. I like the idea of giving students choices because I do believe it makes the learning more fun and more meaningful for the student. Offering choices to students also allows the teacher to better understand their students and their interests. The one down fall to doing this is that the teacher will have to have all the materials available for the students which could turn into more work for the teacher. But other than that minor problem, I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving the students choices is a great classroom management technique! It really does empower the students, because they may not be used to being able to choose things for themselves outside of school. I was always so excited when my teachers gave me the choice to pick 8 out of 10 problems to do. It always made me feel like I was getting away with something, but it really more beneficial to the teacher because it made the learning environment so much better. This is a strategy I plan on implementing in my own classroom in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving students choice can really improve motivation! Most of the time, students have to follow directions and don't have the power of learning more about their personal interests. Obviously, students may need some guidelines from the teacher so they choose a topic that is appropriate. I would agree that students do not always know how to handle the freedom, so they will need structure. Like you mentioned, choice does not need to be a huge deal. It can be something as simple as picking which math problems to do, or picking one category out of a broader subject for science.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger I loved seeing current events and new inventions. Popular Mechanics is a really awesome magazine that I use to love to see what was new. I think it would be a great way to show students how science is expanding and improving everyday. Also who doesn't love learning about some new innovative thing that many people know about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your ideas about letting students choose their own topics are great! I also wanted to add this is a great differentiation tool. It allows students to pick a topic they are more interested in, or one that is not as complex and easier for them to understand. So it not only makes it more fun for the students, but it allows them to work towards something they can achieve and be successful at!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, I think this is such an important topic to blog about. I believe that giving students choices and encouraging them to take some ownership in their learning is so important. When students can choose topics of interest, they are going to be more invested in their learning. I also think they will be more engaged and more motivated. Another blog I recently read included a quote that said that getting students interested in science isn't the problem, the problem is keeping them interested. I really think giving students the opportunity to choose what they are learning about will help keep students interested in learning about science.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I would have to agree; allowing the students a certain degree of choice will lead to more independent thinking, increased motivation, and a certain amount of differentition between students, which the teacher can evaluate. All good things. However, as with most things, there has to be a limit. I don't believe a teacher can allow this idea to go too far! And exactly what is too far? Where to draw the line may present a difficult issue. But the advantages of the choice method, I believe, far outweigh the disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete