Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Science Tips

I always loved science magazines when I was younger, they were the only scientific aspect that I was consciously aware of doing outside of class. So with this blog I will be talking and listing materials that would make a good science library in a class. The first two materials that I would obtain are Popular Science and Popular Mechanics, they are both magazines that I read or had in middle school. For about $40 you can subscribe to both for two years. The articles may be targeted towards a higher grade level, but there are many aspects of the magazines that younger students would find interesting even if it's just the pictures. Also the magazines are a great way for a teacher to stay up to date on current science events.

I can't say I know many children book that will help understand science. So I found a site that give some tips when selecting books.
http://www.science.org.au/pi/goodbooks/
You can click the link on the side and it gives you a bunch of good books that have science themes. Reading through the list I see a couple of books/series that I would classify as a must. The Magic School Bus series are wonderful and Zoobooks were always one of my favorites. These two series are very factual and interesting for students

If you don't have the resources to get these books in your classroom, at least make sure that your library has them available for students. It is always a good idea to integrate science into other subjects, with some schools cutting science times it is important to be creative when teaching science and other content areas.

1 comment:

  1. I like that your finding ways to still incorporate science resources in the classroom, even if budgets are limited. I personally loved the Magic School Bus series when I was younger. But after my experiences and discussions in my current science methods course, I’m not sure how beneficial these books actually are. The books focus too much on the steps to doing something. I feel we should use books that promote students to explore during science time. These books sort of give science a bad rap; science is NOT just a process.

    ReplyDelete