Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Picture books in Middle School?

In my previous blogs, I have looked at many different ways to incorporate a variety of quality picture books into the elementary and early childhood science curriculum. That led me to the question, "Can teachers use picture books to help middle school students understand the content?" My initial feeling on this was no, because I thought that picture books would be too simple for the Junior High level. However, on investigation I have come to find out that it might be a good idea to incorporate picture books at that level. According to an article found in the Middle School Journal, picture books enhance a student's understanding and interaction with a particular subject. Also, teaching is differentiated because children can choose books that are at different reading levels. A lot of our students are visual learners, so picture books are good for them.

There are some considerations when picking picture books for middle school. One is that the picture really help convey the topic so that the students can really understand what they are learning. Another is that the book should have the possibility of leading to a research project, which can include research on a particular person (scientist, etc.). Picture books that are about a contraversial issue area great way to start a debate in the classroom.

I think that as long as the picture book is written at a higher level with an intended audience that is 9-12 years old, it is a great idea to use those books to help teach science in middle school. However, think that they should be used more as a resource to help the students understand a topic better rather than using a book to entirely teach the topic.

http://www.nmsa.org/Publications/MiddleSchoolJournal/Articles/September2006/Article4/tabid/1017/Default.aspx

5 comments:

  1. I think that using picture books are beneficial to students at all levels; even high school. Picture books have progressed a lot since I was young and luckily through my Children's Literature class have read some fabulous picture books. A couple that I have read recently are....

    The Grand Mosque of Paris by Karen Gray Ruelle & Deborah Durland Desiax: This is a non-fiction picture book which tells the account of how Muslims helped the Jews during the Nazi Occupation of France. A great book to use in middle and high school.

    Peaceful Heroes is a collective biography picture book by Jonah Winter & illustrated by sean Addy: This gives the reader short biographies of ordinary people who became extraordinary through their message of peace, such as MLK Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Abdul Ghaffar Khan, Paul Rususabagina, and so many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that picture books can be used at all levels, the key is the content the book contains. I was fortunate to meet a retired reading teacher who is in the process of selling of her library. I was able to get over 250 quality books and over 100 of them are picture books. I have started to read some of these books to my kids. After we read the first book, Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson, my 5th grader said that was not a picture book. I asked her why and the summary of her reasoning was that it contained too much information and required the reader or listener to really think. Quality picture books can do that regardless of the age of the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using picture books can benefit every student, no matter what the grade. I know teachers at the high school level use picture books. There are plenty of picture books that have a higher level content for older students. I think even doing a read-aloud to the middle school students can benefit them if you are reading it to introduce a topic. By having the teacher read also models how to read the content which helps with differentiation, you may have kids in your classroom that aren't at the level to read the book on their own but can get the content and learn by the teacher modeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea to research! I did some research on trade books in elementary schools, and found that on the NSTC website they listed trade books for grades K-12. At first, like you, I wasn't quite sure if it was appropriate to use such books in higher grades, but again like you, after my research decided that it was a great idea! I think it's a great way to activate prior knowledge in students of any age!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was reading this I was trying to think of some specific books that a middle school student would read. I couldn't really think of any that I read that are current or accurate. Some book like The Giver would be great to get students thinking scientifically. It's never a bad idea to incorporate books into a lesson for young kids in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete