Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Science is Fun and Hands On

     I am still finding ways to make science class fun for my students.  I recently picked up a book at Barnes and Noble titled, "The Everything Kids' Science Experiments Book".  This book is cheap and an easy read.  The book has five chapters of labs and experiment ideas.   The book is based on experiments that are hands on.  (AND FUN!)
     What I like about this book:
     1.  The Content Areas covered in this book are biology, chemistry, physics, the planet Earth, and the Human Body. 
     2.  Age Appropriate ideas
     3.  Affordable experiments
     4.  There are puzzles included in the content to further vocabulary comprehension
     5.  Helps kids discover and explore science
     6.   Experiments could be done at hoe or school
    
     I really like the chapter on the human body in this book.  In this chapter there are experiments and ideas about our five senses, Tasteless medicine, and how can I taste different flavors?  These are questions that some students may have.  So why not figure some of this our in science class!  This book helps the teacher find an idea and the teacher can modify the lab or experiment as they wish.   The teacher can teach the content through their curriculum. 
     This book can bring fun to your classroom and smiles on your student's faces.  There are puzzles in each chapter to match each experiment but they are short and still in the content area of the lab.  I would only use the puzzles  as something fun or for an exit ticket for that day's lab.  
     This book has countless options  Even your student's can pick the book up and leaf through the book and find something that they may want to try at home. 
     What I don't like about this book.  In the first pages of the book the book explains the scientific method.  We all know that science does not follow this method.  Also the labs and experiments are step by step.  I understand that sometimes things need to be step by step, like a recipe, but science does not need to be step by step process.  As a teacher, I would want the students to discover  on their own how things work.  I feel that this book is just a book full of ideas that the teacher can expand on and that students can explore on their own. 

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting find! Sounds like a teacher would be able to get a lot of use out of a book like this as long as they modify the lessons into experiments. Resources like this can be great in the classroom and I like that the experiments are inexpensive. Thanks for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea and an excellent resource. It sounds like it would provide some great experiments and be a useful book to answer many pondering questions that students might have. Thanks for posting about this so that other fellow teachers/future teachers can also enjoy the book and what it has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,

    I think this book was a great find! We know that as teachers it can be hard to find activities for students. Especially activities that are hands on and fun for students. It's even more difficult to find these for elementary students in my opinion. We as teachers will have to come up with our own way to have to students do the activity because you said they were step by step. We can question students and have them explore on their own. Thanks for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that along with noticing positive things about the books that you also acknowledges some areas of improvement. Probably the most memorable thing I will take from this class is that there is no scientific method- that is not a poster I will be buying for my future classroom! I like that the ideas are age appropriate- this fits into developmental learning theory to make sure that students are not working on a project that is too far below or above their level. I think it's a good idea that the activities are applicable to home and school- students can continue and extend their learning with a family member and their families will know what they are learning in class. Good way to get families involved! I also think that vocabulary comprehension is important, like you mentioned. We have learned in class that often students (including ourselves!) use vocabulary terms that they have heard or remembered, but don't fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book Nancy! One that is worth purchasing. I like your idea about using the puzzles as an exit slip for the day! I did some research on engaging activities and many things like this were mentioned, but as part of the lesson. I don't think puzzles and things as such are a good way to teach a lesson, but your idea as using it for an extra or exit slip is a great way to incorporat them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is important to read about all the subject you teach. I also feel that it is important to like and enjoy the subjects. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say "If you love the subject students will as well." I don't think you have to love it but you have to pretend like you love it, especially at the younger ages.

    ReplyDelete