Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

standardized testing in the science classroom

I finally decided on a topic for this research project: standardized testing in the science classroom: what does it look like and is it effective? I have been trying to come up with a topic that will really hit homewhen I become a teacher, or even when I start student teaching. Standardized tests and No Child Left Behind are topics that I unfortunatly know little about. We have three children in school and have not been paying attention to the laws and regulations that affect public schools. Now that I am becoming a science teacher these laws will also effect me. My goal is to research the current standardized tests and how they effect teachers as well as students. Is there any alternatives to the standardized testing and how do we make the change?

4 comments:

  1. I think this is an awesome topic to research and is especially important for future teachers to research, because we are the ones who can push for a change and find ulterior ideas. Unfortunately, this is also a sensitive and controversial topic for many and is one that people are extremely passionate about. So it can be hard to push your views and opinions, because a lot of people might not agree with you. I hope you find some great information and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great and very important topic to research. As future educators it is critical that we stay up to date and knowledgeable on No Child Left Behind and standardized testing in general. I feel that it is important for parents are also informed on the importance of No Child Left Behind, and what their child is being tested on. It is our job as an educator to be informed as well as inform others on NCLB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This topic has been in the hot spot for many years now. Yes, as a parent maybe we did not think of the NCLB as much as teachers have to. As teachers, this topic is just a part of our every day life at school and at home. This topic needs to come home also. Parents need to understand that their children are tested. Parent's need to know what the test involvoe and why their student is tested. Communication is the ley to success with any subject. Teachers do need tofollow a curriculum that is based on NCLB standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else that this topic is very important. Standardized tests are brought up in conversations about education all the time, and this semester was the first time that I really began to understand them as well. I have been able to see a past math test, and a sample reading/literacy test, but I am not sure what the science standardized tests look like or what topics are covered. I will be keeping an eye on your blog as you figure out some of those questions so that I also know what to expect when I am able to start teaching.

    ReplyDelete