Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Science and Standardized Testing- Blog 8

For my final post, I found an article found here that describes how preschool has evolved into the new kindergarten.  The article discusses a recent shift in lower elementary classrooms has swapped out practices like nap time for preparation for standardized tests.  The effect of standardized tests in primary grades has passed down to lower grades in terms of pressure on the teachers and students.  Teachers have changed their methods of teaching in order to begin preparing their students early for the standardized tests.
The article also address activity mania a bit through saying that science is more than arts and crafts.  In class, we talked about keeping a balance between preparing activities that keep students engaged and excited about science, but also have an objective and purpose. We have discussed how activity mania is an easy trap to fall into
In addition, another article found here I found tips for parents about preparing their children for standardized tests and questions to ask their children's teacher.  Some examples of tips to help their children is to make sure that they are eating healthy, doing their homework, and have plenty of books and magazines on a variety on topics.  Some examples of questions for the teacher include: Are the test results consistent with the child's performance in school? Should the child take practice tests?  How can a specific skill improve?

4 comments:

  1. I was unaware of the fallout of standardized testing before I read this post but it makes sense. The question I have is, is this really necessary? I know we must prepare our students for the standardized tests, but take away nap time?? Come on now! I guess this is just the way times have changed as we push to go further into the curriculum at an earlier age. This is the reality of becoming a teacher and although there's nothing we can do about it, it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! This was interesting to read! I was unaware that we are starting our students out this young and looking more towards standardized testing. It is a good idea to get parents involved in preparting their students as well. But I feel that we should still not make everything towards standardized testing. To me preschool is directed more towards socialization and pre-learning, but if we are able to connect and incorporate other things in preschool then why not? I don't beleive we should cut other things out to do so such as nap time and arts and crafts. These are important as well in developing a child's fine motor skills. Are there any specific examples and studies done that say this is beneficial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of agree with Luke that is a sad fact. I think the governments recent obsession with standardized testing has gotten a little out of control. We still need to give our children time to be kids. At this young of an age I believe it is the time for children to inquire, learn, have fun, and be social. They spend a lot of time learning through things like arts and crafts and to take this away I think really hurts our students and their ability to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am absolutely appalled...starting to prepare children for standardized tests in kindergarten by taking away naptime is ridiculous and pointless. Children this young should not be feeling the pressure of standardized testing. We learned in science class one day that almost all kindergarteners are considered geniouses and that that number decreases dramatically as the amount of formal education increases. I am no expert but I think this is exactly why. Children this young need to be playing, exploring, building, and experimenting on their own not being taught how to take tests.

    ReplyDelete