Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Movies in science

All of my previous blogs have dealt with using literature such as picture books and magazines in the science classroom both as a resource and a way to produce lessons. I was looking for new information about using trade books to teach science, but kept running across the same information. That lead me to thinking about using online books, but my search was not successful. I finally decided to go in the direction of using movies in the classroom to help teach a science topic. I used a couple youtube videos when I was teaching my science unit in my placement, but it may be hard at times to find quality videos. Then I found a website (http://www.teachersdomain.org/) that contains thousands of videos in all of the subject areas. I clicked on science, and then was able to choose the targeted grade level and what subcategory of science I was interested in (physical science, earth and space science, etc.) These are quality videos that are available for downloading and viewing. They also give the standards that the movies cover, which is extremely helpful in coordinating with lesson plans.

I think that incorporating movies or short videos into the classroom is a good idea because it is very helpful for visual learners. They are able to see certain things more clearly that they would have a hard time visualizing from a reading or still pictures, such as how a volcano erupts. Students are always excited when they are able to watch movies, even before they really know what the movie is they are going to watch. It allows them to continue learning, but also gives them a little break from the more intense learning points of the day.

An article I found by Shawnda Moss titled Effectively Using Film in the Classroom gives the following steps for watching movies in the classroom, which are very important in order for the students to understand that this is still a learning opportunity:

There are three steps to keep in mind when sharing a film in class: pre-viewing, viewing, and post-viewing. Pre-viewing means to activate the students background knowledge of the film and explain the purposes in showing that particular film or clip. It could include discussing the theme or historical or theoretical context, teaching about genre, or introducing vocabulary used in the film. Viewing time should be spent completing a specific task given to the students to perform while watching the film. They could follow an individual character, answer questions about content, or compare and contrast aspects of the film. Post-viewing discussion and assessment is necessary in order to relate the film and its message or theme to the topic at hand, the students’ individual lives, or to their understanding of the world in general.

Anther point made in her article is that children are watching way too much tv in today's day and age. Because of this it is important that the videos or movies being viewed have a definate purpose and aid in learning. Also, they should not be overused, but only suplemented in at times. (http://cmi.byu.edu/Articles/FilmClassroom.html)

Overall, I feel that using videos and movies is a great resourse for teachers in the classroom, especially to help teach some difficult science topics.

5 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this website before, so thanks for the great resource!! Showing movies in class is a controversial topic in some schools. A few classrooms I have been in have shown clips from educational shows like Bill Nye, Between the Lions, and Word Girl. I like that on the website there are a wide range of subject areas, and grade levels. If you sign up you can also add videos to folders which is convenient so you don't have to try to find videos over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that using videos in the classroom can help students learn more and keep the mental image in their mind. when looking for videos I always have difficulties finding appropriate ones and videos with good quality. I am glad to see there is a link for so many videos!! Discussing the importance of the three steps is also good. You can't just show a video clip or movie and not have a connection to your lesoon or what you are talking about it class or there won't be any importance in having students engage in the video. Having students connect the two is what makes them better understand the content. Good LINK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a look at the website. The website had so many videos I didn’t even know where to start looking. I primarily looked at the science content videos. I could totally see myself using one of these videos in my class. For the videos that I saw, they were actually made quite well; not cheesy like some science videos can be. I would use a video related to my content area to access my student’s schema.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I think using educational videos in the classroom can be a great teaching tool. You mentioned that using these videos in the classroom can be very helpful for visual learners. I agree, but I think using these videos in the classroom can be very helpful for all learners. I also really like that you mentioned the three-step process when viewing these videos. I think it's really important for teachers to set a purpose when watching videos in the classroom. Educational videos are a resource, not a substitute teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This website looks like it would be a great way to find content related videos. I also agree with Shannon that the three step process for viewing videos is very helpful. I have seen many times where students were shown a video and the purpose was never really given it was used as a filler and no real knowledge or connections were made to content. Videos are a great way to supplement content but should always have a purpose and new knowledge.

    ReplyDelete