Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Over the past few weeks I have found different website that offer both resources and options for professional development in the science education field. This week I ran across this website, Professional Development for Mathematics and Science Teachers. I was most interested in the section called “Elementary Science Instruction”. When you click on the link you will find information on elementary science instruction, the impact of professional development, improving instruction, instruction materials, math and science content knowledge.

I found the information on math and science content knowledge most useful. By clicking on the link you find a chart that describes a survey given to teachers. The chart shows how teachers were affected by learning more about the content they teach. Having a better understanding of content lead to more effective teaching. The study found a large need for more content knowledge in the areas of math and science specifically

After reading this study I found the link on instructional materials to go hand in hand with it. When teachers had a better understanding of the content they used more materials in a more effective way. When teachers explore and experience the materials they plan to ask students to use, they end up making their lessons more beneficial to students.

After reading through some of these studies I plan to spend a lot of time familiarizing myself with the content I teach. The studies were proof of how important that is. Just knowing the order you plan to do something is not enough. As teachers we have to fully understand the content and understand how the students will view what we are teaching. By trying out materials we plan to use on ourselves first, we can better predict how students will respond to our lessons.

2 comments:

  1. As teachers we really do need to know the subjects that we will be teaching. I believe this is important because the students will not be able to learn something if the teacher doesn't really know about it or if the teacher only has limited knowledge about the subject. Children as many questions, and while I feel that teachers do not need to always have the answers to all questions, they should be prepared enough to know most of what is being asked of them. I know I feel much more confident teaching something that I know a lot about, and that transfers to the students understanding things much better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself struggling over the last few weeks, trying to decide what I can present to my practicum class that relates to what they are studying. Right now they are "doing research" aka, filling in worksheets about the planets. From what I have learned in science methods so far, this is the culprit of non-retention in the area of science, for adults. I want to be better than that. And yet, hmmm..., outerspace... sure it's interesting to me on some levels, but frankly, the technology behind the space technology? I don't have the understanding of that, and subsequently can't ring it down for my fourth graders. How do I bridge that gap so that I can allow for exploration of space concepts?
    I appreciate your quest for knowledge!

    ReplyDelete