Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Science Tips

For my blog today I have been looking at some more general tips given by teachers. The tips that I choose to focus on were tips that sounded fun to me.

1. Use games. I think this is a pretty obvious way to make science class fun. I don't remember playing science games in the elementary games. When I read about this in a couple articles I was thinking classroom games, but in researching the topic I found a bunch of really good websites that I would use in my class.
http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/gamesactivities.html This website is for younger grades but there are a lot of subjects.
http://resources.kaboose.com/games/science.html This site is again younger but very interesting

2. Scientist of the day. This sounds like a very interesting way to introduce scientist in a different way. I think it would also be an awesome way to introduce a topic and really easy to transition by giving students background knowledge. I always found learning about scientists to be boring, but I think a big reason for that was the fact that we learned about them threw a textbook.

3. Science news or technology. I always found it interesting reading about inventions and future stuff. Keeping students current on findings and modern stuff would help students relate science to there life easier.

Here's some place I looked at to find my tips.
http://www.science.org/molecular-biology.html
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-104122.html

1 comment:

  1. I really like the "scientist of the day" idea. When my clinical partner and myself taught science for a full week in our Kindergarten placement we had the students pretend they were scientists. We explained the day before that for the next day they would be scientist and we needed their help to solve some lingering questions we had about magnets. They were so excited the next day because they knew that they would be "scientists". We went over what kind of information scientists research and how they may not always be right on the first try but they do experiments to help prove a theory. So I am totally for that idea because I saw how well it worked with our students!! :)

    ReplyDelete